By Kirk Schriefer
The US From Apple Pie to Ziegfeld Follies is a 4 ebook sequence of reproducible low point ESL/EFL/Literacy interpreting and dialogue texts. each one unit examines a component of the yankee event that may certainly curiosity and tell not just immigrants to the USA but additionally beginners out of the country who need to know extra in regards to the humans, historical past, geography and tradition of this nice state. even supposing the passages are restricted to an simple point of language trouble, their type is still vibrant and actual. Readers can be encouraged by means of the braveness of Harriet Tubman, awed through the great thing about the Grand Canyon, fascinated with the paintings of the F.B.I., and surprised by way of the occasions surrounding Watergate.
Read Online or Download America From Apple Pie to Ziegfeld Follies, Volume 2: Places PDF
Best culture books
An autobiography within the kind of a philosophical diary, Little Did I Know's underlying purpose is to explain the occasions of a lifestyles that produced the type of writing linked to Stanley Cavell's identify. Cavell recounts his trip from early youth in Atlanta, Georgia, via musical reports at UC Berkeley and Julliard, his next veering off into philosophy at UCLA, his Ph.
First released in print shape in 2005; e-book model released 2013
Famed internationally for his or her complex attractiveness, eastern dolls (ningyo) have performed a major position in that country's tradition. this primary entire e-book on old eastern dolls released in English specializes in the 5 major different types of dolls-gosho palace dolls, hina girl's day dolls, musha boy's day dolls, isho dress dolls, and theatrical dolls-made throughout the Edo interval (1615-1868) whilst ningyo tradition was once at its top. positive aspects an in depth thesaurus and bibliography, plus 250 colour images.
Diversified cultures adventure happiness otherwise. commonly, the West is taken into account materialistic, and happiness is related to come back from achievement and acquisition. The East is expounded to be extra people-oriented, the place happiness is because of the deep own interactions. hence, terrible humans will be happier within the East than the West, simply because they aren't so interested in ownership and extra with society.
Condé Nast tourist journal is full of the shuttle secrets and techniques of celebrated writers and complex tourists. every one per month factor positive aspects breathtaking locations, together with the best paintings, structure, type, tradition, food, accommodations, and purchasing. With Condé Nast visitor as your advisor, you'll notice the simplest islands, towns, spas, castles, and cruises.
- Anti-Social Behaviour Orders: A Culture of Control?
- Harper's (June 2011)
- The Geopolitics of Emotion: How Cultures of Fear, Humiliation, and Hope are Reshaping the World
- The Tyranny of Good Intentions: How Prosecutors and Law Enforcement Are Trampling the Constitution in the Name of Justice
- Archives of Authority: Empire, Culture, and the Cold War
Extra resources for America From Apple Pie to Ziegfeld Follies, Volume 2: Places
2) Think of another great historical building, like Independence Hall. Describe it. 3) What good or bad effects can come from a strong sense of national pride? Give examples. WORD POWER Circle the letter of the word that means the same as the word on the left. 1) prominently a) in a nice setting b) in full view c) in a safe location 2) obtain a) get b) buy c) receive 3) sits a) meets b) waits c) relays 4) drawn up a) pictured b) pulled c) written 5) pavilion a) tent b) space c) building 6) enhance a) decrease b) improve c) engage I4 CROSSWORD PUZZLE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ACROSS: 1) In Independence Hall many great historical _____________________ took place.
F3 INFERENCES Based on the article, circle the letter of the best sentence completion. 1) The development of Fort Worth over the years, from the 1800s to today, shows a pattern of... a) slow but steady growth. b) very rapid growth from the beginning. c) irregular slow and fast periods of growth. d) growth up to the peak of the cattle industry, then decline. 2) From the way many people in Fort Worth dress and behave today, we may suppose that... a) they have forgotten their cowboy past. b) they are embarrassed by their cowboy past.
C) result from dangerous creatures like bald eagles. d) have been controlled by scientists and rangers. 2) We can infer from the passage that the main use of the Everglades today is for... a) hunting in exotic birds. b) farming. c) making movies. A. wanted a wildlife refuge in the Everglades in 1947? 2) Is it worth spending money to protect endangered species? Why or why not? 3) Can you think of other large wildlife refuges in other places? Name and describe one. WORD POWER Circle the letter of the word that means the same as the word on the left.