By Jianwei Wang, Weiqing Song
This quantity addresses significant topics in modern diplomacy: Sino-European kin and international governance. This ebook has a targeted method of Sino-European kinfolk, with worldwide governance as either a subject for research and a conceptual framework to hitch jointly the person chapters in a coherent means.
Read or Download China, the European Union, and the International Politics of Global Governance PDF
Similar diplomacy books
This can be the 1st systematic background of U. S. efforts to aid forge a cost among India and Pakistan at the Kashmir query. Former ambassador Howard B. Schaffer attracts on interviews with senior American officers, historic learn, and his many years of expertise in South Asia to provide an explanation for and assessment 3 generations of U.
This booklet examines and systematises the theoretical dimensions of paradiplomacy - the function of subnational governments in diplomacy. during the international, subnational governments play an energetic position in diplomacy by means of partaking in overseas alternate, cultural missions and diplomatic family members with international powers.
This assortment makes use of Theodore Roosevelt to shape a clean method of the heritage folks and eu family, arguing that the simplest position to appear for the origins of the fashionable transatlantic courting is in Roosevelt's lifestyles and occupation.
- Through the Veil The Role of Broadcasting in U.S. Public Diplomacy toward Iranians
- The Geopolitics of Euro-Atlantic Integration (Europe and the Nation State)
- Japanese Foreign Policy at the Crossroads: Challenges and Options for the Twenty-First Century
- Inside the United Nations
- Jazz Diplomacy: Promoting America in the Cold War Era (American Made Music Series)
- Preventive Diplomacy at the UN (United Nations Intellectual History Project Series)
Extra info for China, the European Union, and the International Politics of Global Governance
With Xi Jinping becoming Chinese president, as well as secretary general of the CCP and chairman of the Chinese Military Commission, there has been a noticeable centralization of power at the top. Xi not only holds the top positions of state and party but also directs a number of the leading groups, including those for foreign affairs and the National Security Committee, which he himself launched (Wang 2015). Whereas previously the portfolio of relations with the EU were informally allocated to the prime minister, under Xi Jinping, the president himself has assumed responsibility for this relationship—as evidenced by the first presidential visit from China to the EU institutions occurring within a year of Xi assuming office.
The chapter concludes with an overall assessment of China-EU relations and an outlook on future challenges in this relationship. Before proceeding, however, a particular aspect of China-EU relations needs to be considered, namely, the fact that this relationship is not between two states, but between a state and a polity that is generally recognized as being less than a state and more than a traditional international organization (Wallace 1983). The EU has developed significantly in the past 60 years, from an intergovernmental organization into an entity that has several state-like features but is also in significant ways distinct from a liberal institutionalist perspective / 31 states.
38. ” China: An International Journall, Vol. 4, No. 2 (September 2006), pp. 327–340. 39. Frank Umbach, “China’s Energy and Raw Material Diplomacy and the Implications for the EU-China Relations,” China aktuell-Journal of Current Chinese Affairss, vol. 36, issue 1, 2007, pages 39–56. 40. John Thornhill, “Trading Strains,” Financial Timess, October 1, 2008. 41. , “Zhongguo-oumeng maoyi cha’e xianzhuang ji qi yuanyin de shizheng fenxi” [An Empirical Analysis of the State and Factors of China-EU Trade Imbalance], guoji maoyi wentii, No.